Opened cans of cat or dog food should be stored in the fridge to retain moisture, minimize exposure to air and reduce transfer of odors to other food. The best way to store opened cans of cat or dog food is to use a plastic pet food lid that fits the top of the can to prevent moisture loss and transfer of odors. If a plastic lid is not available, plastic wrap also provides a very good moisture, air and odor barrier. Zip-to-close bags provide good moisture barriers but do not provide good oxygen and odor barriers.
Sometimes my pet doesn’t eat everything. How long is my cat or dog’s dry food good once it’s in the bowl? How long are the cans good once opened?
- For dry cat and dog food
- Dry food can be left in your cat or dog’s bowl indefinitely if the bowl is kept in an area that is cool, dry, out of direct sunlight and not subject to contamination by insects and vermin. However, we recommend that your cat or dog’s food bowl is washed and filled fresh each day.
- For canned cat and dog food
- Your pet’s bowl should be emptied of moist or canned food not eaten by your cat or dog within 4 hours if the ambient temperature is above 50°F. Opened cans should be stored in the fridge, at temperatures between 40-45°F, for a maximum of 5-7 days. Any cat or dog food remaining after that time should be thrown out.
How can I tell if an unopened can or bag of cat or dog food is still good?
For dry cat and dog food
- The datecode on our plastic bags is located on the left gusset, near the 4 or 5-digit SKU number, toward the bottom of the bag. The datecode on our medium and large bags will be located on the top of the bag, generally the front flap. The example below shows that this bag of pet food is best before April 2010. After April 1, 2010, the unopened bag of pet food should be discarded.
For canned cat and dog food
- Please refer to the best before date stamped on the bottom of all canned products. The example below shows that this can of pet food is best before December 2010. After December 1, 2010, the unopened can of pet food should be discarded.