Here are some general airline travel tips for pets to bear in mind:
- Never sedate your pet on a flight. High altitudes and sedatives are a dangerous combination and should never be mixed.
- Always have your pet’s leash and collar easily accessible for walking prior to departure, but do not take the pet out of the kennel inside the airport.
- Identification tags for your pet and travel kennel, including pet’s name, home address and phone number, are essential.
- Never use a muzzle on your pet during travel, as this is dangerous to the pet.
- Familiarize your pet with the kennel prior to the trip so that it is comfortable to him/her at travel time.
- Always make advanced reservations or arrangements with the airline when you are making your own reservations. The airline always reserves the right to refuse travel if there are too many pets on board, so make sure you advise them early.